On October 13, 2020, Pachamama Alliance Co-founder Lynne Twist hosted Edgar Villanueva and Hilary Giovale for a conversation about Healing from Colonization as part of Resilience and Possibility in These Times.
The speakers’ lineages are connected from 1739, when Hilary’s ancestor received a land grant in the region of North Carolina where Edgar’s Indigenous ancestors lived. Today, Edgar is a racial justice activist, philanthropist, and author, and Hilary is writing about her journey of decolonizing her mind, healing from white supremacy, and learning reparations-based philanthropy.
The two spoke about the work they do to heal from colonization individually and in connection with one another, and shared a number of resources to support you on your own healing journey.
- Edgar's website, Decolonizing Wealth
- Edgar's recent article We Can't Return to the Way Things Were Before. For Philanthropy, the Way Forward is Reparations.
- October 18 The Condor & The Eagle screening and panel discussion
- Hilary's website, Good Relative
- Hilary's recent article Reparations: How We White Relatives Must Try To Pay Back The Unpayable Debt
- October 24 Ancestor Connection and Healing Ritual
- "In addition to Decolonizing Wealth, two books I recommend are An Indigenous Peoples History of the United States by Roxane Dunbar Ortiz, and The Half Has Never Been Told by Edward Baptist"